Sunday, November 20, 2011

Meet the boyfriend

OK, so maybe boyfriend isn't the right name.  But the Nokia cell phone had to be called something.  I have moved onto the list of being primary midwife and when my name hits the top of that list I get the clinic phone aka boyfriend.  The little black Nokia is with me 24/7 until a woman in labor texts and comes in, then I hand the phone to the name under mine.
At this moment he is laying beside my computer as I type, if I move somewhere else he'll hang around my neck or be put into my pocket.  Come night time he shares my pillow right next to my head.  Last night was my first night of being on call and knowing at any moment it could go off.  I slept restlessly, afraid I was going to miss it ringing.  It is common I hear for midwives on call to dream of having missed the phone going off and having to rush to a birth.  While I didn't dream about that, I did have a dream about a spider and somehow it had a connection to the phone going off and I found myself half asleep looking for a spider on the wall.  Weird.  I also woke up multiple times during the night to check and see if I had missed a text.  I could have slept soundly all night, because no one texted
It is now 4pm in the afternoon and I am still waiting for someone to text they are coming.  This is my first time having the clinic phone.  Which means when someone texts in, it will be my first time as primary midwife, which means I am waiting to catch my FIRST baby!  I am pretty excited :)   

5 comments:

  1. I dream of spiders often. Welcome to the world of spider dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go!! :) What a life eh? It makes me think what a crazy idea it is to become a midwife, but usually the results are very rewarding. Can't wait to hear about the first catch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tianne hope you don't have any more spider dreams.^.^ miss you-Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps.I sent you an email and recent letter and recieved the latest mail.congrads on everything

    ReplyDelete