Sunday, October 21, 2012

On being tall

I am not entirely sure what started my thinking, but I have the itch to cut my hair short, really short. This lead me to google “tall women and shot hair”, just to see if I would look good. Turns out there are lots of differing views on the topic. While I was browsing, I ran into websites dedicated to tall women, yep that’s right support groups for us overly tall ladies (a tall blog for your enjoyment:
thetallblog.wordpress.com ). I enjoyed readying through the different sites about how beautiful being a tall woman is. It made me feel nice :) Then I decided to write a blog about my own story of tallness.

For those of you who don’t know I have always been tall, there was no amazing grow spurt. Here is a picture to prove it :) 
These are my cousins, us in blue are the same age
Is my family tall? 
yep. 

Am I the tallest in my immediate family? 
sure am. 

Am I dutch? 
no, there is not a lick of dutch in my family tree.

Do/did you play basketball? 
No, never, nor did I ever want to - please stop with the basketball questions 

Do you like being tall?
Yes I do. 

A few things I love about being tall:
I love being able to see over a crowed of people. 
I love being able to reach things easily. 
I like my long curves. 
I like people telling me I should be a model (even if I don’t completely believe I could be). 
I like being told that only tall women can ever really be stunning (even if I don’t feel like I am stunning). 

Somethings I don’t like so much about being tall:
I’m an introvert, I do not like being noticed where ever I go. Ok, sometime I do, but I wish there was a switch so the 90% of the time I don’t want to be noticed I wouldn’t be.
I don’t like the stares and finger pointing, at all. 
I do not like the exclaim “wow, you are so tall!” no really? I hadn’t noticed, thanks for pointing that out to me. 
I don’t like to be told to be proud of my height and stand tall - really, I don’t remember ever trying to be smaller, ever. 
I don’t like being taller than what seems to be 90% of men. Yep, I said.  It stinks. 

Really I don’t mind being tall through I would rather be more in the middle, like say 5’10. But if I had to be an extreme I would rather be tall than short. 

Being tall is harder in Asia. I am seriously more then a head taller then most everyone. I feel weird. I miss being around tall people and not standing out 100% of the time. I don’t like feeling like a giant, through I am learning to embrace it. I don’t like the comments, the points, the stares... like I said I am a introvert. 


Me in public transportation here in the Philippines - I just don't fit 

Giant
Where is God in all this? I think every person that is different in some way has asked God why at least a few times. I sure have. He gave me an answer a long time ago. Really. God told me that He knew I would get lost in a crowed and that He made me to stand out, so He gave me my height to ensure I do.  There have been times I have not liked God so much for this “gift”, because I really don’t like being noticed. But, I have learned that it isn’t about me and through my height God allows me to talk to people I never would or rather people to talk to me who never would just because I am tall.  I have opportunities to share His love by just being tall, now that is pretty cool. 
My tall family (most of the short people have married in :) 

Through being tall I have learned to except people for who they are, because I want to be excepted for who I am. I have learned that despite what I might think or believe, the truth is God made me this way, He is happy with the results and I should be too. I am beautiful, made in the imagine of my Creator and I learned this in my struggle to embrace standing out in a way that I can’t ever change.

So for anyone who wanted to know, yes, I like being tall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment