Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter blessing

I love catching babies on a holiday. This makes a day that can often be sad, lonely & long into a blessing. Sometimes God answers prayers just how we pray them, this was the case with baby Justin Leo's birth. I had asked God to let me catch a baby on Easter and that she would arrive in the morning and deliver in time to go home that night.
My labor text in advance notice, I changed into my scrubs, made the bed and ate lunch before she arrived. When talking to Sara, I stated that as long as she delivered by 1pm and had no problems she would be able to head home that night (if they stay over night we have to check on them every 4hrs and discharge in the morning).
She arrived about 12pm and gave me a strained smile. I introduced myself, took vitals and asked questions about her labor. This was her 2ed baby, her first was born in 2006. I asked her as I went to check the baby's heartbeat before doing the i.e. if she was scared of the pain, she said yes. I tried to assure her that she was very strong & to focus on the fact that very soon she would be holding her baby boy in her arms. She smiled.
Between the time it took me to do the i.e. (I found 6-7cm) and my supervisor to follow me up she had already dilated 2cm. She cried to her mother during contractions and I worked on helping her breath through them. Laying on her side because the heartbeat was a little low, she tried not push during each contraction. Pretty soon I saw slight vaginal opening and my supervisor told me to let her try pushing.
Rolling over on her back and giving a push, her bag of water was already 5cm visible! A moment later it burst open, revealing moderate mac staining. The mother had a strong, push, but listened well as I instructed her to breath, ha ha, through crowning. I have read that this part is called the ring of fire, maybe you mothers who have done natural births would agree?
Little Justine's head was slowly was born, as I was assisting with the birth of the rest of his body I noticed a nuchal hand (where the hand is up by the face). This was a first for me and thankfully in my inexperience I did not cause her to tear. The sweet little Easter baby was born covered in vernix and amniotic fluid at 1:02pm and gently placed on his mothers bare belly.
Happy midwife, happy mama & sweet baby

Justine Leo

Proud Grandma
Little Justine Leo, weighted 3.5kg (7.7lbs) and let his feisty personality shine through by screaming through his first bath and I mean screaming & making a fuss if he couldn't latch on to the breast quickly enough :) Please pray for mamma, baby, & big brother as they get use to life together. Praise God for His blessings of new life!

1 comment: