Sunday, December 1, 2013

It is hard to say goodbye.

He is an old dog. His joints are stiff, hearing gone, sight diminished, mind confused. In fact he doesn't even know who I am anymore, but that doesn't make saying goodbye any easier.

I picked Zacchaeus out of a litter of puppies when I was 16 years old. A lady standing beside me admiring the wiggly short legged corgi puppies assured me that he was the best one. I am still not sure why my parents said yes when I called them asking if I could bring him home, but I am glad they did.

Zacchaeus and my other dog Jake became fast friends and my best friends along with my horse, Romeo. We traveled many roads together, they even jumped out of my pick-up and followed me into a Wal-Mart once! Zacchaeus loved to go horse back riding, most of the time he followed so close to the horse's heels you would think he would get hit, but he never did. When I was home in 2011, at 11 years old he was still walking old familiar trails with me.

It is hard to say goodbye and every time I do, I am reminded that I was never meant to ever say goodbye. Zacchaeus has been getting noticeably worse in the few months that I have been home. Tonight he seems to have taken a big turn for the worse and I am afraid that tomorrow I will have to say the final goodbye. I don't want to and it doesn't matter if it is tomorrow or the next day or the next day. I will never want to say goodbye….

I love you my little man, thanks for being such a good friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment