Sunday, October 30, 2011

A legacy

" I had feelings of fear about the future...The devil kept on whispering, "It's all right now, but what about afterward? You are going to be very lonely"....And I turned to my God in a kind of desperation and said "Lord, what can I do? How can I go on to the end?" And He said, "None of them that trust in Me shall be desolate." That word has been with me ever since." ~ Amy Carmichael
 

Back in 2006 it was recommended that I read "A Chance to Die" About the life and legacy of Amy Carmichael.  I remember buying the book with great expectation and picking it up to read and finding it dull.  It was just one of those book I could not get into.  So, I put it down knowing one day I would pick it up again and read it.


Five years later I have picked it up agin.  My experiences are vastly different now and I can relate very much with the life of Amy Carmichael and the choices she made for the Lord.  This time it is hard for me to put the book down to do my assignments and work. 


It has been over a hundred years from when Amy set out on her missionary journey to when I set out on mine.  Yet God has not changed and the truths Amy lived by are still relevant for me to live by.  It encourages my heart to read about a woman who lived her life fully for the Lord.  Who laid down everything for the Lord and lived a life out of love for Him.  I want to live my life in the same way.  It is not easy, but God is always good and He is faithful.


  "All the paths of the Lord are loving and faithful" Psalm 25:10 I have pondered this verse lately, and have found that it feeds my spirit. All does not mean "all - except the paths I am walking in now," or "nearly all - except this especially difficult and painful path." All must mean all. So, your path with its unexplained sorrow or turmoil, and mine with its sharp flints and briers - and both our paths, with their unexplained perplexity, their sheer mystery - they are His paths, on which he will show himself loving and faithful. Nothing else; nothing less." ~ Amy Carmichael 


"If my interest in the work of others is cool; if I think in terms of my own special work; if the burdens of others are not my burdens too, and their joys mine, then I know nothing of Calvary love." ~ Amy Carmichael



“But God is the God of the waves and the billows, and they are still His when they come over us; and again and again we have proved that the overwhelming thing does not overwhelm. Once more by His interposition deliverance came. We were cast down, but not destroyed.” ~ Amy Carmichael




3 comments:

  1. Amy was amazing! :) So glad that you are enjoying and being enriched by her legacy and honesty of her walk with God this time. Press on Tianne. Wish you were closer, but I'm sooo glad for you to be surrounded by rice fields and have a puppy... God knows ahead of time exactly where to put you while you look forward to returning to Africa. "He who promised is faithful."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Amy! She is one of my hero's too! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tianne, your excerpt from Amy's book "you are going to be very lonely" makes me wonder...Are you? lonley? Is the work you are doing for the Lord overfilling you with peace? Are your friends there many? Are you homesick? Are those you love from back home filling your life with e-mails, snail-mails. Please let me know. I am thinking of you. But I know personally, I have not been faithful in letting you know I am thinking of you. You can probably tell by my many comments today on your posts that I am on a mission to catch up on reading.

    ReplyDelete