Monday, April 4, 2011

Called

According to Funk & Wagnalls standard desk dictionary two of the many meanings of call is, to summon to a specific work; to call someone to the ministry and to arouse, as if from sleep.


Whenever we hear someone say "I've been called to do..." it always causes us to pause and wonder "What does that mean, what is a calling really?"

I went on my first mission trip when I was 16 and an extremely shy young lady.  It was not the best experience in my life and yet a small spark ignited in my heart.  Would I say I was called into missions at 16?  No.  To be honest, I have to admit from the time I can remember first being asked the question, "what are you going to be when you grow up" I had a simple answer "a mom".  This continued as my number 1 option until just over a year ago, in my thoughts if not spoken out loud.

 I had to write an essay when I applied to Canyonview Equestrian College back in '04 about where I saw myself in 10 years.  I wrote first that I saw myself settled down on a small homestead, married with 4-8 kids.  Then I wrote:  if for some reason I did not marry I saw myself in Africa on the mission field.  I NEVER thought that option 2 would become option 1!


I have always (and still do) wanted to get married and have a family, but I have never let that stop me from moving forward.  So as time moved on and I kept taking baby steps in my prayer to God of  "whenever, whatever, wherever."  I found myself in the fall of '06 applying to Africa Inland Mission to join a 2 year Training in Ministry and Outreach Team, to see if missions just might be what the Lord was calling me to do.


When the 2 year team broke up a year early, I came home on an unintended visit for 4 months to regroup before heading back to finish the 2 year commitment.  When I was home I was very undecided about what God was calling me to do.  I had two beloved horses,which I saw as my link to my dream of having a small farm and I decided to hang onto them just a bit longer to see what the next year would hold.

I arrived back in Africa on January 1st of 2010 and as I exited the plane the smell of Africa filled my nostrils and I took in a deep breath. Then a smile came to my face and I exclaimed to myself, "ahhh, I am home."  After a few nights of jet lag, I headed to Jinji, Uganda for our regional conference.  It was there, while listening to testimonies, seeing photos and hearing other missionaries hearts for the people they serve, that I felt the call.  One particular On Field Media video spoke to my heart and I knew, so to speak, that God wanted me to serve on the mission field long term.  So, with a sad heart, in April I asked my parents to find good homes for my horses.


Yes, I was scared and I kept telling God, "but I don't really have much to offer, are you sure? isn't there some one else that is more fitting for the task?"  And yet that sure small voice was speaking into my heart.  "Tianne, I want you to share my love with people who have never heard."  So, through prayer, faith and trust I said, "yes, Lord, where You call I will go!"

After this, there were many times of doubting and questioning, but it always ended the same.  That quiet voice telling me it was what He wanted me to do.  As I prayed and asked God what my long term ministry might look like slowly I began to feel a draw towards medical missions.  In April through some godly counsel and lots of searching in my heart I was further lead to look into options in acquiring training to become a midwife.  I had never considered becoming a midwife before, but as I talked about my personality, gifts and dreams for ministry it became ever so clear that being a midwife would be a perfect fit.

When a friend sent me the address to Newlife International School of Midwifery in the Philippines it was another one of those feelings of knowing this was where God wants you to go.  To be honest at first I was a little disappointed, I had visions of being closer to home if I was going to go back to school.  As I continued to look into Newlife the feeling that it was the school that God had chosen for me to attend grew and also the peace to be in the Philippines.  So I filled out the application, sent the required information and waited.  Finally in February of this year I got the word that I had been accepted!


 As my team leader David Miller used to tell me,  "Tianne, you just need to ask God to show you one step and then trust Him to keep giving you a new step when the time comes."  I feel confident that God has given me that next step as I head to the Philippines in August and I know enough to trust Him to keep giving me each step clearly when I need to be making it.  My option 2 has now moved into option 1 spot and while I do still long for a family someday, I now see it taking place in some small village in the bush of Africa and if a family is not God's will I am beginning to be OK with that too and I look into the future with excitement

 

Please take a look at this link http://aim-ofm.org/2010/01/29/move-against-the-fear/ it is the video that really touched my heart back in January of 2010 and I feel that after I finish my midwife training in the Philippines my next step is very likely to be to work in Central Africa and maybe back in Didinga, I am God will let me know the specifics at just the right time!   


I had hopes of adding the video right to this blog, but sadly I could not figure out how to do it.

         

1 comment:

  1. Phenomenal video - I see why it was the point at which you felt called to go - if God had already been placing it on your heart. Diana Fischbach

    ReplyDelete