Monday, April 11, 2011

Destination Tabuk

I am moving to the Philippines in August to spend two years as I train to become a midwife.  I did not choose the Philippines because it is a place I have never been, it sounds exciting or because I want to be away from friends and family.  No, I am doing my schooling in the Philippines because; 1) that is where the Lord lead me to go 2) the door opened 3) It seems like the perfect fit to train as a midwife and then return to Africa as a missionary midwife.

A Little about where I will be living:

Tabuk is the capitol of the province of Kalinga in Northern Luzon.  Tabuk is a city but it is still very rural.  It is mainly a rice-farming community and is quite spread out, consisting of many surrounding villages.  Tabuk is made up of many (likely over 50) different Kalinga tribal groups as well as the Ilokano people group.  The language that is used in the city is mainly Ilokano.  The ministry does much of its outreach with tribal groups who speak their own tribal languages.
There are two markets!!  I am really excited about this!!  One at each side of the town, they sell fresh fruit and vegetables as well as meat and fish - YUM!  This is where I will be buying most of my food.  There is also a grocery store that has some other items such as canned goods, ICE CREAM (what more could a girl want?), etc.  Tabuk is one hour away from the city of Tugeugarao.  There are many grocery stores in this city along with a McDonald's, bookstore and airport.  I feel spoiled already!

I will be living at the clinic site, with the clinic down stairs and the living area above it.  The bathroom and shower are outside, but they have flush toilets and running water.  I will be sharing a room with two other students and occasional visitors.  There are also 6 other people sharing the house.  It is sure to be cozy!
I will still be doing my laundry by hand, but I don't mind that, I actually enjoy it :)  

There are motorcycles with side cars that I can catch a ride into town for 25cents and a number of dirt roads behind the clinic that wrap around beautiful rice fields where I can stretch my legs.  I can get snail mail sent directly into Tabuk so I shouldn't have to wait quite so long to get letters AND I will have internet, which I am sure is going to transform my life :)

I am looking into forward to the next two years that will be spent in the Philippines with excitement and a bit of nervousness.  I know that God will lead me in the valleys and on the mountain tops and I am sure to experience both.
As always please feel free to ask me any and all questions you may have!  
Map of the Philippines



1 comment:

  1. 2 markets and flush toilets - yeah! No squatty potty? (I learned that from Jess - lol)

    ReplyDelete