Monday, April 11, 2011

Meet Derby!!


A week ago today a friend stopped by, after talking for a while I asked him "are you ready for a dog yet?" and to my surprise he said yes and adopted Buddy from the animal shelter.  I have seen Buddy since he moved into his home and has adjusted very well.  If you are from the area you may just see Buddy having fun with his owner at The Farm golf course :)


I now have a new pound puppy in my care looking for a forever home.  Meet Derby the German Shepherd mix!   Derby was turned into the shelter by his owner who was moving and could not take him along.  He is about 8 months old, fully house trained, good with kids, other animals, rides in the car, walks well on and off the leash and very clam hanging out in the house.  He is a lover and will be a very loyal dog.
Unfortunately it would appear that Derby was left alone a lot and not socialized well.  He is sensitive and I would also guess he was treated too harshly, not beaten per-say, but treated much rougher then necessary.  He does have some issues related to his poor upbringing.  He does have separation problems and cannot be left alone in the car (we learned the hard way) or loose in the house.  He would need an outdoor fenced area or a crate for being left indoors.  He is timid at first and needs lots of encouragement and positive reinforcement.  I do think in time he will be able to overcome his insecurities and become a very happy family/individual friend.


Top five benefits to having a dog:
1) Dog owners have lower blood pressure.
2) Dog owners have lower cholesterol levels than non-dog owners.
3) Dog owners are happier in general
4) Dog owners have higher survival rates after serious illness.
5) Dog owners live longer. 


Studies show that pet ownership in general can lower cholesterol and increase longevity; however, maximum benefits can be obtained only through dog ownership






Are you willing to take in a sweet boy in need of some tender loving care?  In exchange you will have his devoted love, a happy face to greet you, and faithful friend.  Please let me know if you are interested in Derby!! 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I just got my answer in this blog as to whether Buddy got a good forever home, how about Derby? He sounds like our dog Jack who was traumatized in his prior home before we adopted him. He still startles easily.
    Diana Fischbach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments Diana! I really appreciate you taking the time to read all my blogs and commenting on each one! It really makes me feel loved. I had a birth the night that you commented on them and it was the middle of the night and I checked my email and when I saw ALL the new emails I thought I had been hacked :) And to answer your question, yes, Derby got a home :)

    ReplyDelete